DILG report on Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte out this week

Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo today said the report on the results of the fact-finding investigation on Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio’s assault on a court sheriff last week will submitted to the President within the week.

“Hopefully within the week, we can forward our report to the President with our corresponding recommendations,” he said.

Robredo said the Department’s team of lawyers went back to Davao City last Thursday to interview and get the statements of other witnesses in order to come up with a more comprehensive report on Duterte’s possible liability for punching a court sheriff.

Last July 1, television cameras caught Davao City mayor as she hit sheriff Abe Andres four times in the face after the latter allegedly refused to grant the mayor’s request for a two-hour stay on a demolition taking place in Davao City.

The DILG Secretary also said that the Office of the President and the DILG have yet to receive a formal complaint or administrative charge from Andres or from any concerned party against the mayor.

“While there was a protest action in front of the DILG regional office and we have also heard of several complaints, still, up to this time, nobody has come forward to lodge formal charges against Mayor Duterte,” said Robredo.

The Interior and Local Government Secretary also pointed out the Department cannot file the charges against the mayor because it cannot act as complainant and investigator at the same time.

“It would be contrary to proper procedures if the complaint will come from our end, because our role is to investigate and submit the necessary recommendations to the President,” he said.